*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Health Or Beauty?

While sorting and cleaning the cabinets in the bathroom the other day, I realized that I don't use a lot of what I had. Much of what I had was expired, dried up, or just something I no longer wanted, so I tossed it. I'm a simple gal when it comes to my health and beauty routine and I think that the less that we use, the better for our bodies.

The same went for under my sink - my main staple for cleaning is white vinegar and water, so I did not need a hundred bottles under my sink. I cleared out all the harmful chemicals which somehow worked their way into the house and rearranged the mainstays - Seventh Generation spray, vinegar, baking soda, and rags.

It's amazing how companies brainwash us into thinking that we need a separate product for every little thing: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face soap. Sink cleaner, stovetop cleaner, countertop spray, bathtub cleaner, toilet cleaner, window spray. It's overwhelming, hazardous to our health, and just plain expensive.

While I've set a lot of goals for myself this year, simplify was one of the main ones. I've been doing great with clearing out clutter (another garbage bag full of stuff went to Goodwill this past weekend!) and I wanted it to carry over to the stuff I use in the house, hence the purging of the chemicals and bathroom closets.

This evening I went on a shopping spree to stock up on items that I do need to replenish soon. It may seem silly to post simplify in one paragraph and shopping in another but hear me out. If one wants to replace their hazardous cleaning items with a gallon of white vinegar, one must go buy white vinegar. That one jug of vinegar will replace 5+ bottles of cleaning solutions under your sink. You are simplifying.

What did I purchase this evening? Thanks to the dear readers who signed up using my link on Vitacost.com I had enough credit to simplify my cabinets. Most of the products I purchased were items we already use, such as

and
Dr. Bronner's all-in-one liquid soap is a favorite of ours. It is completely natural and is the power house of clean. We use it for body wash, face wash and shampoo for the kids (unfortunately, hubby and I seem to be too greasy to be able to use this for our face or hair). I've used it for cleaning before, dishes, and laundry detergent in a pinch. It's been said that there are 30+ uses for it (some even brush their teeth with it!). This one bottle can really simplify your health and beauty routine.

I know lots of people who would love to use all natural and organic items for their family but feel it is too expensive. This is not true - look around your house - a bottle of shampoo, a bottle of conditioner, and soap or body wash all costs money and can be replaced with something as simple as one bottle of Dr. Bronner's. For a 32 oz. bottle on Vitacost it was $15.xx. That may sound like A LOT (believe me, I thought it was crazy expensive when I first heard about it) but it lasts forever. Seriously, one or two little drops gets you clean in the shower. I use a foaming pump dispenser and that makes it last even longer. We are still working on one 16 oz. bottle that we purchased last spring! The scents are amazing as well...peppermint is so refreshing for hot weather that it literally makes you want to put a sweater on after showering! Almond is delicious, lavender is relaxing, and the scent free is great for sensitive or baby skin.

My point is to not turn into an infomercial, but rather to point out that if you shop smartly and pair down you can simplify the ingredients that you use, the number of products that you use, and end up saving money.

And, again, while I don't want to sound like an infomercial, I do like to share with my readers brands and sites that get me excited. This was the third time that I have purchased from Vitacost.com and I have never been disappointed. First and foremost, it is frugal. The prices on items I already buy are cheaper than my local stores and even Amazon. There is often awesome sales, as well. The shipping is free over $50 and just $4.99 for an order under $50 (my last box was over 17 lbs. and shipped free!). You can go through Shop at Home for 5% cash back (if you are new to Shop At Home, click on this link and you'll get $5 for signing up).

The best part is the referral program, which is still going on. This is not a pyramid scheme or any trick, it's just a great promotion so they get more customers for this new website and you get to try their service...no strings attached. They give each new customer $10 when they sign up. You can place a small order of just $10 worth of items and only pay the $4.99 shipping (this is a great way to try their business) or you can place a larger order and get $10 off your order. But then, you can refer your friends and you will get $10 for each person who goes through your link. I was able to get $50 worth of items free due to 5 sweet people signing up under me - they were happy with their credit and I was happy with mine. This is an exceptional way to get natural and organic products inexpensively or even free!

I do plan to continue to purchase from Vitacost, whether I have a credit or not. The prices are lower then I've seen elsewhere, there is a huge selection, and I can shop from the comfort of my own home (which is a huge plus, since the natural foods store I shop at is 45 minutes away). Everything from steelcut oats and energy bars, to vitamins, to health and beauty supplies are available on this site.

If you aren't already a customer, sign up through this link and you'll get your $10 code. Place your order, and then share your referral code with your friends and family. It's awesome!

This post was not sponsored or endorsed by Vitacost.com. It is a site I enjoy and wanted to share. The links on this page are my own referral links and will net me a profit for the referral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails