*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back on Track

I've turned over a new leaf this past weekend food wise. I'm getting back to real food (i.e. not from a box or drive thru) and trying for a goal of 60% raw...though that is going to take time. My husband isn't up for too much of a change (yet!) so much of our suppers will be more normal fairs with my food experiments being for lunch and breakfast.

I loaded up on healthy food at Super Target and have a stocked fridge and pantry for this coming week.

Saturday night I made BBQ chicken breasts, loaded baby red mashed potatoes, and broccoli salad.
The broccoli salad was a new recipe and delicious! We are big broccoli fans in this house and I had just found a huge bunch of organic broccoli at Target for $2.99 so it was the perfect day to make this dish. I can see myself eating this dish for a light lunch many times a week and it makes a perfect side dish! My husband didn't sound too thrilled when I mentioned having broccoli salad but even he went back for seconds.
Broccoli Salad
1 1/2 c. fresh broccoli
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
3 T. mayo
2T. white vinegar
1 T. sugar

Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk last three ingredients together in small bowl and pour over ingredients in large bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

I've been feeling better this weekend. Not exactly more energetic but less bogged down. I'm hoping I see more of an improvement everyday as I continue my healthier eating.

This morning I had a green smoothie and some Greek yogurt. For lunch I had a lunch date with one of my cousins but we chose the healthiest option in town: Subway. I loaded up on veggies on the sub and had half for lunch and half for supper. I also snacked on fruit, drank lemon water, and had tea. I had the leftovers of the broccoli salad as well (and it tastes better the second day!).

Two days in and I'm feeling better?! Can't wait to see how I feel later this week! :)

5 comments:

  1. it is so hard especially when you are on the road

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make just about the same broccoli salad, but it also has cauliflower and sunflower seeds in it. Very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the broccoli salad recipe. We have two huge bunches leftover from farmer's market and needed a new way to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie- I will try adding some cauliflower next time I make it and maybe some sunflower seeds or sliced almonds! Thanks for the suggestion, sounds good!

    trooppetrie - It is very difficult to eat healthy while on the road or away. I'm curious to see how I will continue healthy eating while away. Hope I can find a way!

    Alexis - Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make the same salad but add raisins and cashews. Cauliflower adds a nice touch but this is one of those salads that everyone loves. I never bring home leftovers from church!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails