MSN reports in 2007 that a CDC study found that the average median number of sexual partners that a person has in their lifetime is 7 for men and 4 for women. What is your immediate reaction to this? Do you think it is high/low? Good/bad? Your thoughts?
Edited to add: Many of the comments questioned the number, thinking it was extremely low. This is the "median number" but the study also found:
- About 96 percent of U.S. adults have had sex.
- Sixteen percent of adults first had sex before age 15, while 15 percent abstained from sex until at least age 21.
- The proportion of adults who first had sex before age 15 was highest for non-Hispanic blacks (28 percent) compared to 14 percent for both Mexican-Americans and non-Hispanic whites.
- Six percent of blacks abstained from sex until age 21 or older, fewer than Mexican-Americans (17 percent) or non-Hispanic whites (15 percent).
- Black men and women were more likely to report having 15 or more partners in a lifetime (46 percent and 13 percent, respectively) than other racial or ethnic groups.
- Seventeen percent of men and 10 percent of women reported having two or more sexual partners in the past year.
- Twenty-five percent of women and 17 percent of men reporting having no more than one partner of the other sex in their lifetime.
- Taken from an MSNBC article