*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 10

Yesterday was going bad. I mean, really bad. Jacob woke up whining and sat by my feet for fifteen minutes whining about nothing. I hadn't got much sleep the night before so was already at the end of my rope. I decided to cut his hair so told him he could take a bath after a haircut, which got him to stop whining. But then, Becca had a complete fit over a t-shirt that I wanted her to wear. I told her to take it off if she didn't want it and I would put it in the garage sale box. So she would take it off, then start screaming that she didn't want me to sell it and then put it back on. After a few minutes of that I decided to ignore her, then after half an hour I decided to stick her in her room, and then after an hour I decided that the boys and I would go hang the laundry up to get away from her screaming and whining (yes, all over a shirt that I could care less if she wore or not!!). Apparently both older children woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Finally, after a morning like that, I looked through the cupboards and couldn't decide on a thing to eat for lunch. After all the stress I went through I felt like drinking a cherry Coke so decided to grab some hamburgers and my pop. It was $10.11. And guess what? When I arrived home and took a sip of the much anticipated Coke from Hardee's I found that it was pretty much just carbonated water. Yep, I didn't even get the pop that I wanted!

It can't get much worse than that, can it? Well, it can. Later in the afternoon Becca and Jacob went outside to play. Our 10 month old English Bulldog puppy snuck out with them. When Becca came back to the front of the house she saw Weezy sitting on the porch so opened the door for her and saw her hobble in. After telling me something about Weezy walking funny I went to check on her. Poor Weezy had strands of foam dripping out of her mouth and wouldn't use her back leg. I then saw little drops of blood on the ground and noticed a cut on her head. Realizing that she must have gotten hit by a car (and the person who hit her didn't have the decency to stop and tell us) I called Ben and had him come home from work and we ran her to the vet. What scared me the most was when we lifted her into the car and saw blood coming out of both of her ears.

The vet's office was hosting their open house and had close to fifty people touring the building, eating free ice cream, and signing up for door prizes. So we had to shuffle through the crowd to get in there.

The blood in the ears were just scratches. She had road rash all over her body. The vet thought her lung may have been punctured. And her femur was definitely broken. Weezy was perfect through the whole examination, not whining or moving and just following me with her eyes. Then her breathing became labored so they decided to give her something for shock and let her rest a bit before doing x-rays. We came home and luckily the vet called us a little later and said so far the x-ray of the diaphragm looked good but that her femur needed pinned. They will do the operation tomorrow, after checking her diaphragm once again just to make sure nothing is wrong.

And that my friends, is how a whole budget can just go right out the window. If we really were just living off $1,200 each month we probably wouldn't be able to afford the operation. Although, if we were just living off $1,200 a month we wouldn't have five pets to begin with.

We won't know how much the total is until all is said and done. She will be staying at the vet's office for at least a couple days. I'm just thankful that she will be okay as it could have been much worse.

After eating at Hardees for lunch and getting $20 in gas for the van we are at $489.41 for the rest of the month. The vet bill could suck all that away so I'm sure we will be going way over our $1,200 budget...unless....hopeful thinking....we don't get billed until July! :)

It's just strange how we could go months, or years, without something happening like this and it happens, of all months, this month.

11 comments:

  1. wow .. what a day you had. I just started reading your blog and I was going to comment on why you pressured your daughter to wear a shirt she didn't want to wear, then tell her if she didn't you'd put it in the garage sale .. and then say you didn't care less if she wore it or not. But now, that is meaningless. I just want to hug you, for having your priorities straight. There are so many that in your situation would just put down their dog (not myself, but plenty here in this fine province I live in) but you are a fantastic faithful and dedicated pet owner and I have to commend you! Hope she gets better soon .. at least the vets have payment programs .. hope yours does too, so maybe you CAN keep in your budget!
    oh and hope the whining children stop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all...OMGOMGOMGGGGGAAAWWWDDD! I <3 Bulldogs soooooo much. When we buy a house we are getting one and I can't waaaaaaiiiiittttttttt! Sooooo freaking cute!!!

    Okay. Done.

    I'm so sorry about your crappy day! Man - that *is* a bad day. Don't you hate Murphy's law? I'm glad your dog is going to be okay though!

    I wouldn't count the vet bill in the total - just keep on going. It probably wont be due until next month anyway. Although, i guess it depends on why you're doing the challenge.

    My challenge goal is simply to save money...I'm not trying to "prove" anything (which is good...cause I'm kinda sucking at it! ;P).

    Anyway, I hope today is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah...I should have pointed out that my daughter does this about clothing all the time. She has a dresser packed full of clothes and a few times a week I will pull something out for her to wear and she will say she hates whatever it is and doesn't want to wear it but then demands that I keep it for her...even though she won't wear it. I am trying to point out to her that if she doesn't want to wear something that we will sell/donate it as we are not going to keep a pile of clothing that she "hates". So she has a choice...wear the item or put it in the sale pile.
    She had a complete fit yesterday. I think she woke up on the wrong side of the bed because a few minutes into the fit she didn't even remember what she started the whole fit about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atheist Mama, I've loved bulldogs ever since I was a nanny in Florida 10 years ago and fell in love with theirs. Couldn't believe it last summer when hubby bought Weezy for me!!

    I think I will go on with the budget to see if I could have stayed on track had this not happened. So I'll keep on keepin' on.

    The thing is, we totally have the money in savings to pay for the surgery. But now, since we are saving so much this month, we won't even have to touch our savings account to pay for it so that is great. Maybe there really is a reason why I choose this month of all months to do this challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes, I get it now :).


    when it rains it pours...hope today is so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw poor weezy. It seems like my kids always have a bad day when I need a break too. I am really sick of animals and their vet bills -I know that sounds mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor puppy:( Glad she'll be alright though

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Weezy. glad she is okay, though. Maybe you don't need to *count* that toward the $1200?? I don't know. I'd forgive you if you didn't :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Theresa, I would not count it toward the budget this month. You have an emergency(saving account) fund for that very reason and this was definitely an emergency!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about your sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really sorry to hear about Weezy.I hope everything turns out ok.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails