*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wholesome Wednesday: Pads vs. tampons

The question seems like a cinch...whichever one you like best, right? Well, sure, unless you are concerned with certain health aspects such as, are they safe?

I may be entering the TMI (too much information) arena, but I was never comfortable with the idea of a tampon. I didn't do much research but did steer clear of them, especially when several people I knew continually got urinary tract infections around the time of their cycle and come to find out that they are tampon users. One day when my cycle was pretty heavy and I had a bunch of errands to run I decided to try a tampon that I received as a sample. It was okay but not totally comfortable. Since then I have worn a tampon maybe six times and have gotten to the point that they are comfortable to wear but I just don't like them much. I decided to do some research to see if my feelings that they are not healthy for you are unfounded.

One of the first things I came across are that tampons are not just cotton, they're made of dyes, fragrances, and super-absorbent chemicals. Research has found a link between uterine problems and bleached tampons. Chlorine from bleach turns to dioxin and is one of the most dangerous chemicals on the planet. Dioxin accumulates in our bodies over our lifetime and it's not something the body can ever get rid of.

Tampons are often made with Rayon. It's made from wood pulp and during the process of converting wood to rayon, hundreds of chemicals that are used are embedded in tampons.

Fibers remain in the vagina after a tampon is removed. Can the chemicals and fibers in tampons cause health problems? We now have staggering rates of endometriosis, fibroids, PID, TSS and over a million hysterectomies performed this past year--the most ever. Twenty-five years ago, these were rare illnesses for women.

While there are many reasons for the above illnesses, I don't want to take a chance that putting bleached fibers into my body for several days a month may be a contributing factor those illnesses.

Sanitary pads also use a bleaching process and also use more than just cotton. But having them outside the body is much safer than using them inside the body. This is the route that I have gone so far, though I have been researching other options.

What other options are there? One is the "Diva Cup".

The Diva Cup is a bell shaped cup often made of latex and silicone. It is reusable and designed to last for up to 10 years. They work similar to tampons except instead of absorbing the liquid they collect it and you empty it out before reinserting. While they are not made out of natural products, they are touted as being much safer than chemically bleached tampons.

An alternative to store bought sanitary pads are cloth pads, such as Luna Pads (they also sell the Diva Cup).

Similar to cloth diapers, you just use, wash, and reuse. They snap around your panties making them similar to the store bought pads. I know some people who swore by these for their heavy cycles, saying they absorb so much more and stop leaks. This is the option that I am really leaning towards, though I need to get over the "ick" factor of washing them. For some reason I can wash cloth diapers just fine but kind of gag at the thought of washing menstrual pads!

I would love to hear if you use alternative menstrual products or what your feelings are about the traditional ones.

17 comments:

  1. Personally, I use both. On my heavy days that I am really busy, I will use a tampon. On days that I am home I will just use a pad. When I was younger I never used a tampon unless it was summer and I wanted to go swimming. It is ironic that I just read last week what is in a tampon. I was a little shocked that there is rayon and cotton in the brand of tampon that I use. I always thought that they were all cotton. The same holds true for pads. I just assumed that they are all cotton. You would think that something that is inserted into a woman's body should be required to be pure cotton with no chemicals.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking on going down this line as well. We use Seventh Generation pads because they do not contain the chemicals that most pads have. I will not use a tampon because of many of the same reasons you stated above. It is an expense and a fairly new one in the light of history. I would have loved to asked my grandmothers what they did. Now that I have four daughters and one is now cycling. It is getting expensive. I would like to try the above but am a little scared. I am not sure about the washing thing also. Would also like to hear from women that use alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a strictly tampon girl. I HATE pads! It's like wearing a sticky, stinky, damp diaper! And the leaks, Uggh! I've done a lot of research on the Diva/Moon cups, and don't think I'm a good candidate for them. I guess I could make the investment and try, but it seems like a lot to spend on something that I don't think will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was much like you. I have never been able to feel comfortable with tampons. So for years I used pads.

    Recently, however, I switched to cloth pads and will never go back. My period has gotten so much better since I started using cloth. I have lighter bleeding, and my cramps have almost vanished. Seriously. Love them. And I used to get a rash when I wore disposable pads; no more rash now either.

    The ick factor was an issue at first, but it has gotten better the more I get used to it. I put the pads in a bucket with water. I put some vinegar in to cut the smell. (a friend uses tea tree oil instead of vinegar) I just wash them when I have a load and hang them up to dry. Very easy. From what I've heard, (I didn't use cloth diapers) it's very similar to cloth diapers.

    I've not tried the Luna Pads, but I have some that I love. They are from an Etsy shop, Naturally Hip. Really well made and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the diva cups & just couldn't get over the "ick" factor. and I couldn't get it OUT without a big mess. TMI.

    I use tampons-- have for y ears & years. but I did not know about the bleaching thing. is there such a thing as a "safe" tampon w/ no chemicals? scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous-
    Yes, there are a couple brands of tampons that are unbleached but they are the organic brands so you may have to search Amazon or your natural health store for them. Some may still contain fibers other than cotton but they are at least unbleached.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use mama cloth as they call it. Back in my poor days, I cut a cheap towel into slices and safety pinned that to my underwear, folding twice for lighter days and three times for heavier. Now I use pads that snap in place, mainly bought from random stay at home moms online. (My favorites are from rhythm and blues, they are all in one with a PLU layer for super heavy days). Though, I have made several from flannel myself, but I need a serger to do it right(they fray).

    I just soak them in the sink in my bathroom and throw them in with the wash.
    I'm not squeamish so it has never bothered me, it's my blood right? Someone else's would probably gross me out.

    I concur with Mae, my cramps and bleeding with the switch from disposable to cloth completely changed, my cramps were mind boggling and now they are very deal with able.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Diva cup devices are too messy and inconvenient in my opinion. I have tried using cloth pads, but because my cycles tend to be heavy, was having to change them all the time to prevent leakage. I was always terrified to wear them other than at home, lest I get a big leak in public. The washing aspect of them was easy, so that didn't bother me, it was just the feeling of not being as protected that bothered me. I have given up using tampons, mainly because I had a near toxic shock scenario when one got stuck inside of my body. I'm nursing now, but once my cycle returns I'd like to switch over to the organic ones. Since I'm the only one in our household menstruating, it won't be that huge of a cost and is a happy medium for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many years ago, I remember using a cloth pad that was homemade- I think when I stayed with Grandma one summer for a couple of weeks. You pinned it to your underpants. It was specially made with tabs on both ends and really wasn't so bad. We soaked them in cold water and suds and it washed up nice and clean. I can see using cloth pads if you don't work outside the home; it would be very hard to use them if you had to go to work somewhere. Where and how to keep them until you got home would be a difficult and potentially embarassing situation.
    Pads, especially if scented, can make your skin sore and irritated. I never did like tampons, and they could be messy to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like my diva cup but am too heavy of a bleeder to be able to use only that :(. Cloth pads sound like they would be gross when you first hear of them, but that's what people have done for centuries! Give it a try! I decided to test it out and just folded an old wash cloth in thirds and laid it in my underwear. Worked great at home but made me nervous to go out :). Still, as a SAHM I can save a lot of money and waste by using cloth whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started off slowly by using cloth pantyliners during my non-period cycle until I got used to them. Now I'm ready to try cloth full time this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Beth, for taking on this subject. It was one I need to hear more about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've used cloth pads for 5 years now, maybe 6. Honestly, it was the ick factor that made me wait that long. However, once I tried them, it never bothered me...it was just hard to take the leap into cloth. I had also heard that cloth pads reduced period length and lessened cramps...I have completely pain-free periods and they only last 2-2.5 days. I will never go back to disposable pads.

    I keep a Bummis bag (leftover from cloth diaper days) in the bathroom, do a quick rinse of the pad, fold it up and drop it in the bag. After my period is over, I toss the pads and the bag in the wash. Easy as can be.

    To help with the ick factor, try starting with pads that are dark patterns in red, purple or brown. It helps ;)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Store bought disposable pads also contain chemicals that are laid right up against your skin.

    Cloth pads are awesome! I never really had an ick factor with them, it just came as a natural thing to do once I switched to cloth diapers.

    Do some research if you decide to switch, some detergents (even those marked as "free") will break the fibers down and fabric softener will make them less absorbent.

    I used Allen's detergent on my cloth diapers and pads. It's AMAZING stuff. A gallon jug lasted me over a year-and I washed ALL our clothes for a family of 4 in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use a Diva cup with a cloth pad as a back up. I will never go back. You couldnt pay me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diva cup sounds really messy and kind of gross, I don't think I could walk around with a cup inside of me colecting my blood. When I first got my period I said I would never wear a tampon, however, as time progressed, it just ended up being more conveinient to use one. I still don't like the feeling of having something INSIDE of me while I walk around all day. Plus, I am always worried I'll leave it in too long. I tend to lean towards pads or even just toilet paper, at least while I'm in the house. It just seems a little more natural than plugging yourself up with whatever is in those things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tampons are not bad for you they get tested to make sure they don't make you sick i even let my daughter use them. and all pads even cloth pads are gross because you sit in your own blood!
    im sorry if i affended you this is just my oppion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails