*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, February 13, 2010

$75 Grocery Update

Yesterday I wrote about how my goal is to lower my grocery bill to $75 a week (down from $100). I think that is a reasonable goal, and feel that this summer I can cut that total down even more. By lowering my bill just $25 a week, I will be saving $100 a month, or $1,200 a year. That is a size able amount!

I am going to hold myself accountable to you all this week and tell you the truth on how much I spent on groceries. I made my menu plan for the week and it goes:

Homemade pizza

Boca Burgers and french fries

Spaghetti and garlic bread

Chili and cornbread (or rolls)

BBQ chicken and baked potatoes

Poor Man's Soup

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes with gravy

Every meal will also have a vegetable and fruit served with it. With pizza and spaghetti it is usually salad, with meatloaf and chicken it is usually corn, peas, or green beans. Fruit is usually whatever is on sale or what we happen to have on hand (sliced apples, pineapple slices, oranges, etc.).

The menu only lists what we eat for supper. I don't typically plan lunch as it is usually something quite simple such as peanut butter sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, soup, or leftovers. Throw in some veggies and dip and fruit and call it complete and easy. Snacks are usually crackers, popcorn, or fruit and vegetables.

Breakfast is easy. We always have cold cereal on hand but rarely eat it. We have our choice between hot cereals, oatmeal, eggs and toast, or muffins. Simple, cheap, and healthy!

I am going shopping later on today and will update you on what I spent. Update: I sprent $63.04 at the grocery store today. This is ingredients for all the recipes listed above (what I didn't already have on hand), vegetables, fruits, and milk. The only thing I will probably need to pick up later in the week is another gallon or two of milk, so I came in way under budget! Yay for me! I'll keep you afloat of any quick trip I may make to the store next week.

2 comments:

  1. I will be interested to see how it goes. We are a family of five and the cost of groceries lately is killing me. Of course I have teenagers, so that doesn't help. I'd love to hear any tips that you might want to share to help cut costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. I just bought our groceries this week. It was $158 worth of groceries and I only paid $83.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails