*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, September 5, 2009

Don't You Love Free?

Living in a small town means that if we want to go to some "real stores" we have to travel about an hour away, which we typically do once or twice a month. Today we decided to take advantage of the 20% off Labor Day sale at Half Price Books so decided to make it a full day of shopping. Let me tell you that trying to shop, much less browse, at a bookstore with three little ones (especially the Energizer Baby) is pretty much impossible. Hubby was able to look through some of the shelves while I occupied the children in the children's section. If I was child-less for a few hours I think that bookstore would be the place I would run to and just spend hours looking around in. Maybe in 30 years, right?!


Then we headed to a thrift store and a consignment shop but we spent less than five minutes in either one because my precious Joe (the Energizer Baby) would not stay still and I really did not have the patience today to deal with a squirming child. Some women may dream longingly about taking a vacation to Paris or a ring worth 50K but I just dream about having an hour alone to shop! Again, maybe in 30 years!


We headed to Target after our first three-store flop and I was able to score some items free by combining manufacturers coupons with their store coupons. It has been awhile since I have been able to plan ahead and organize some good deals so at least I scored at one store. I was able to get the dog food free, Rice Krispies free, was paid 40 cents for every two packages of pens I bought, was paid $1 for each razor I bought, and was paid 30 cents for the Bounce Dryer Bar (which I have been curious to try). Along with some other items I bought with coupons I saved $56 and only spent $43. If only the cashier wouldn't have been so coupon clueless and questioned every little one I would have walked out of that store walking on cloud nine.




Our last stop was a Sara Lee Bread outlet where I was able to stock up on their Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Bagels which I love, for just $1 each. Also grabbed a few loaves of bread to stick in the freezer.


(The alien arm seen in this photo is actually Joe (the Energizer Baby) who is also known as the bottomless pit and is trying to make a grab for his bagels.)


I love to shop (okay, maybe not so much with kids) but especially love it when everything is cheap or free! In future posts I will highlight some of my favorite couponing moments or what I get free with refunding.

1 comment:

  1. I could never shop with my children at that age unless they were in a backpack, but I know that kills your back. I actually thought I would go stark raving mad once when I had to shop without the backpack!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails