*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, August 25, 2012

Quilted Happiness

Sometimes we get exactly what we need when we need it.

Yesterday, on the way home from Jacob's 2nd week check up (his counts are still on the rise and looking good...we now have a 10 day break until his next appointment!) we saw a sign for city wide garage sales. It was later in the day but the kids begged to go to a few so we drove around the town and stopped at a few. They looked very picked over by that point so we didn't find anything, until we stumbled upon a sale in a church. I love church sales, they are often run by the older ladies in the church and I find goodies such as vintage linens, fun old dishes, and items that remind me of my visits to my Grandma's house.

Walking into the sale I immediately spotted a table with vintage sheets and fabric. Hidden beneath all that I pulled out these two adorable vintage quilts.

I love, love, love quilts. Knowing that someone put so much time and love into making it (whether it was made especially for you or for a complete stranger) gives me a warm feeling. Vintage quilts are something I have been on the lookout for for quite some time, but they are a treasure that few are willing to part with. I was stoked when I saw these. There is just something about vintage fabrics that speak to me - the bright colors, the fact that they were often made with pieces of old clothing or treasured fabrics.
There was another reason my heart beat faster as I held these quilts in my arms. My Grandma made beautiful quilts and she made each of my children a baby quilt when I was pregnant with them. I have been sad about our newest little one not having that treasure from their great-grandma (yes, there is more than one reason that I have been dreadfully tired, morning sickness is really bringing me down lately). While my grandma didn't make the quilts, I have a feeling that a grandma did, and that will do.

Money doesn't buy happiness. It's amazing how something that costs as little as $1 can bring back a flood of memories and make a mama happy.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations. It is so nice to hear about joyful things happening for you since you have had so much to struggle though. I understand the keepsake idea. My grandmother quilted each of us Christmas tree skirts before she died and had even made me an extra which is now my daughters. The new baby doesn't have one and I have been so sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I have a love of all old fabric too. I have two really fun quilts that make the perfect blanket for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow congrats!!! Did I miss the announcement??? What a wonderful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear about your newest little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilts are such a treasured & wonderful keepsake aren't they?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I love vintage quilts and textiles, too. I have a whole box of vintage table linens that I scooped up at an antique store closing. I use some of the embroidered towels, but mostly I just open it and refold everything every once in a while. Yay for the ten day doctor break; hope everything keeps going well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mom of 4 Monkeys-
    Nope, this was the announcement! I just had to sneak it in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. when are you expecting the new arrival to appear? what are you hoping for? hope everything goes well with your pregnancy.
    marcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby is due in Spring of 2013. As long as baby is healthy I don't mind either way but boys do seem to be easier, just from my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a sneaky way to sneak a very exciting announcement in! Congratulations! :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. omgoodness, that was sneaky indeed...well nothing like the smell of a new baby (whn clean of course) to give you some of that nieve energy, what a nice sprise and excitment for your family..

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing! We are SOO happy for your family! Praying all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new little one! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails