*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Squishy Squashy

Even with the spring-like days we've had recently, there is only so much time that can be spent outdoors when the yard and toys are still covered in a heavy, wet, slowly melting snow. Which means that the children still have boundless energy.

I saw on a friend's Facebook page that she made homemade playdough. She used food coloring and essential oils, both things which I do not have on hand. I decided to google a recipe that is similar to the one my mom used to use when we were kids and found one with ingredients that were already in my cupboard!


The kids sat quietly playing while I prepared lunch and are still playing with each other at the table after finishing their lunch.


1 c. flour


1/2 c. salt


3 t. cream of tartar


1 pkg. Kool-Aid


1 c. water


1 T. cooking oil


Add dry ingredients in a saucepan. Mix water and oil and pour into dry ingredients. Turn stove top to medium heat and stir ingredients until it thickens into a ball. Let ball cool on counter, then knead a few times. Now it's ready to use!
Store in a covered container (I used a glass canning jar but even a ziplock bag would work) in the refrigerator; it should keep for several weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Aww...it's great to find something they all like to play with together! Bet it smelled good too with the coolaid! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember homemade Play-doh! If my memory is correct, we even tried eating it! -Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make this for my kids when they were little. They used to love it! Always smelled good too!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made play doh with my preschool class this morning and used about the same recipe. Except I didn't need to use the cream of tarter. It called for:
    1 cup flour (I ended up having to add more once it was all mixed together and just kept adding a little as I kneeded it)
    1/2 cup salt
    2 1/2 T of olive oil
    1 C of boiling water (I put water in a glass measuring cup and microwaved it for 3 min)
    1 pkg Kool aid

    Mix flour, salt, oil and kool aid together. Add water and mix. I mixed w/ a spoon for bit until it was cool enough to use my hands and then did it w/ my hands. This was the easiest play doh recipe I have ever done and it came out great. That Cream of tarter can be expensive and I was thrilled to find a recipe that didn't call for it.
    Play doh is so fun and so great for their motor skills and getting them ready to write! :-)
    Kim in VA

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails