*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, November 17, 2011

Swimmingly Good

For years I've been wanting to cut down our red meat consumption. Personally, I'm not a fan of the conditions in which our meat is raised and the antibiotics and hormones which are used. Since I can't afford organic grassfed beef at this time I usually halve the beef I use in most recipes and make many meatless meals.


Chicken is an old standby (I know...I also have issues with how chicken is raised but one thing at a time!) but I've been wanting to consume more fish for the longest time. The problem? Besides fish sticks, tuna, and salmon patties I had no idea how to make and prepare fish. That was making me steer clear of the fillets in the store.


I recently became brave and tried a few recipes - and we like them! A favorite we found is the Blackened Fish from the book Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy. It's an easy and quick recipe - I always have those spices in the cupboard and can keep a bag of fillets in the freezer so I can throw together this meal quickly.



Blackened Fish



1 T. paprika



1 tsp. onion powder



3/4 tsp. cayenne powder



1 tsp. salt



1/2 tsp. black pepper



1 tsp. garlic powder



1/2 tsp. ground thyme



1/2 tsp. ground oregano



1/4 tsp. cumin



water or milk



3 T. butter



2 lbs. fish fillets



Combine all of the spices onto a plate or pie pan. In another pie pan or shallow dish pour some water or milk for dipping the fish.


Melt the butter over high heat in a heavy metal or cast-iron skillet. Dip the fish into the milk or water, then dip it on both sides in the spices. Cook the fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side. They will look burnt, but they'll taste great. The high heat is turning the spices into a crust and sealing the moisture in the fish.


Be sure to open the windows or turn on the vent...this makes a lot of smoke!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'll definitely try this out. We only eat free range, organic chicken or grass fed beef, which means we often eat fish. One recipe I love is to place a layer of sliced lemons on a sheet of foil, then a layer of sliced red onion, place your fish of choice then sprinkle sea salt, basil and oregano. Wrap the foil closed like a pouch and cook in a baking dish at 400 for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great - my daughter and hubby love fish but I don't make it very often so I will give this recipe a try! I also love Jonni McCoy's books -I've found lots of great recipes and tips in her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GirlRural...that sounds so simple and yummy! I'm going to try that recipe next. Thanks!

    Holly...after trying this recipe we have been eating a lot more fish! It's a bit spicy but nothing a glass of milk with dinner won't fix. :) The last few pieces of fish never get as much seasoning on so aren't so spicy - those are the ones I feed to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We aren't fish people, but it's not because we don't like it, we just have never given it a fair shake I think. This sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails