*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tolerance for All...

Politically Correct. Live and let live. Coexist. It all sounds fine and dandy. Until you realize that it's tolerance for all...except Christian beliefs.
Many who spout live and let live have no tolerance for those who have religious beliefs that differ from their views. The main point of tolerance is that you accept the fact that people are different and have views other than your own. It's funny how that rarely actually comes into play.

Christians are accused of being judgmental, close-minded, even stupid and ignorant...just because they have differing views. The worst thing that Christians are now called is hateful. Society now tells us that you must be politically correct in order to be a loving person.

An example is homosexuality. It's "politically correct" to accept marriage of same-sex couples. It's hateful to admit that you do not agree with homosexuality. And no matter how much a Christian could explain their beliefs they will be deemed hateful and ignorant. Those types of beliefs won't be tolerated...kind of ironic, isn't it?

I agree, there are groups that call themselves "Christian" that are horribly mean and hateful. The group that gathers outside of soldiers funerals to protest, the ones who tout hatred against homosexuals. It's horrid and makes Christians look horrid...but those groups are NOT Christian. No Christian group will promote hate.

With that said, being against something does not necessarily mean hate. I'm against pre-marital sex but that doesn't mean if one of my children does this that I will love them less. I'm against abortion but that doesn't mean that I hate the women who have had one. I'm against homosexuality but that doesn't mean that if a same sex couple moved in next door that I wouldn't welcome them into the neighborhood any less than any other couple. Because it's truly possible to not agree with a lifestyle and yet to still love the person with that lifestyle. This seems to go beyond most people's reasoning, and that is why we Christians are still considered ignorant. It seems you must accept a lifestyle in order to love people.

And yet, any parent, can tell you that no matter what their child does, they will always love their child. A teenager may go out partying or run away...but a parent won't stop loving that child for that. The parent may not agree with what their child is doing, but they love their child nonetheless. Why is it easy to comprehend this but not realize that the love and understanding can be had for everyone around them? I may not agree with everyone's choices, but I have no hate for anyone.

What do you think? Is our society more or less tolerant now that everything is politically correct? Are Christian views intolerant?

Edited to add: The above examples of what I don't agree with are just a few of the examples I could come up with. I am not proclaiming that they are the worst and that I am sitting in judgment on my high-horse. I also don't agree with lying, swearing, judging others, self-entitlement, and so on...and of course I have been guilty of all that at one time or another. That doesn't mean that I agree it's right. Since we all sin...my point was that it IS possible to love the sinner and yet not the sin.

11 comments:

  1. I think when it comes to hating homosexuality or disagreeing with homosexuality or being against homosexuality, whatever you want to call it- you are forgetting that being a homosexual is not a *choice*.

    You wouldn't disagree with someone being a woman. Or white or black or autistic.

    How does someone's sexuality affect you? It doesn't.

    Religion has no place in politics, just as it has no place in public schools. This country is made up of many different people with many different religions and beliefs. Every one should be included and their gender, sexuality and ethnic background (among other things) should not matter.

    As a Christian, I agree there is a group of Christians that give us a bad name. They are usually the loudest, the quickest to point out where other Christians are failing (or question someone's Christianity because it doesn't look like their version), and I am not talking about the ones who protest at funeral and other ridiculous things.

    I think political correctness is there to level the playing field- it gets rid of the things that shouldn't matter when it comes to politics. I think some (many?) Christian views are intolerant, it depends on which brand of Christian you're talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our society is tolerant of everyone but Christians and I also believe that Christians can be just as bad at having no tolerance for other Christians. No one has "arrived" we are all in a process of growing and learning. This blog post is very well thought out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I do believe Christians belong in politics as well as our schools since our government and education were based on the godly principles.
    I think we need balance and political correctness has gotten to the point where we are losing our freedom of speech and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I won't debate you on why I don't agree with the act of homosexuality (my decision is based purely on what it says in the Bible), I do agree with you on the point that someone's sexuality doesn't affect me, to a point. That is why I'm not at all outspoken on the matter...it is someone else's personal choice. The only way it affects me is the whole debate about whether same sex marriage should be legal or not...and I don't even have strong opinions on that. If someone so chooses that path in life they SHOULD be able to have a legal binding...though I would prefer it be called something other than marriage I don't feel strongly one way or another because "marriage" in this age doesn't mean what it did 50 years ago anyway.
    I agree with religion having no place in public schools...it is such a diverse community now that one view should not be stressed above others. Politics, I feel a little differently about. Many of the choices that our leaders have to make ARE moral decisions, and in my opinion, I want to elect someone who will make decisions that are morally right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But this is not just a nation of Christians- how do you expect a country full of people who are not christian to be ruled by government that is based on Christianity? What if we added Judaism and Islam to the mix? No one would be tolerant of that! This country was founded by people looking for religious freedom, yes they happened to be Christians but I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that people searching for the right to practice the religion of their choosing would be upset by a government what was exclusive of religion, thereby embracing all people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slacker Mom- I do agree with you are saying about religion and the government. I just meant that I, personally, can't vote for a leader that won't make moral decisions. Freedom of choice means just that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise-
    I agree that to a point every view is not tolerant of another view. And we are all human, therefore no one is perfect.
    While our nation and schools were founded on Christian principals I do think that the freedom of choice that we were all given now demands more freedom FROM religion. I won't say that I'm happy for that, as I feel a lot of the problems in society are from taking God out of schools and the government, but we do still have choices such as electing someone who we think will make more morally sound choices or putting our children in a private school or homeschool. It is, after all, the parent's responsibility to teach their values to their children, not a strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I was typing while you were posting- I was addressing Denise.

    What does religion have to do with morals? I think someone can have no religious beliefs a all and still have very good morals and values. They are not one in the same. You pointed out the Westboro Baptist church for example- extremely Christian by their own definition but doing things that are beyond immoral.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slacker Mom-
    I did point out Westboro Baptist Church, but also pointed out that by their own actions they are not a Christian church.
    Religion and morals so not always go hand in hand...with that you are correct. But the real question is do those values and morals align with the Bible? For example, a doctor preforming an abortion may say that he is acting morally by helping out a woman in distress, where as a Christian following the Bible would see him as committing murder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the first poster. I believe that homosexuality is not a choice, but the way you are born. Nobody would choose to be different, persecuted, hated, or treated differently. The truth is that what matters most is that government not treat Christians better than they do homosexuals. Marriage is a legal union recognized by the government and only the bible defines marriage as between a man and women. Therefore I think homosexuals should be afforded equal protection under the law, not Christian law, the law.

    I don't find you evil or mean or hate filled because you don't agree with homosexuality. Each of us gets to choose our belief system. I just don't want our government imposing religious beliefs in any way, as I'm not religious and our country was founded on religious freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GirlRural-
    I appreciate your comment. Somehow my post got turned into more of a debate on homosexuality/marriage and religion (which is okay, as I always enjoy a good debate!) rather than my first point, which was I find it ironic that those that preach tolerance for all have no tolerance for those that think differently! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. While many Christians are kind people, my experience with many Christians is that they are some of the most hateful, judgmental people on the planet. I'm not saying you, because you don't exhibit these characteristics, but there are a lot of people who claim to be Christian and use their interpretation of the Bible as an excuse to be intolerant, to judge, to hate and discriminate. As a person who seeks kindness, inclusion and acceptance this makes me very sad.

    Homosexuality is not a choice. It's difficult enough in this world to be homosexual; no one would anyone "choose" to face hate and discrimination.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails