*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fast Food

One of the many dilemmas of hospital stays is food. It's just plain difficult finding good food to eat in the hospital. The cafeteria has a variety of foods, but not many healthy ones and the prices are outrageous. There are some stores around the hospital but I can't just up and leave whenever I need something to eat.

4 days of being away from home equals 12 meals. I first started by bringing the Hormel Complete meals as a way to save money and have food on hand. I'm sorry for being honest, but those meals taste (and smell) like dog food. The next stay I brought frozen meals, which were a bit better but a bit inconvenient as well as not very nutritious.

Don't get me wrong, I bring the basics with me from home: yogurt, nuts, cheese sticks, granola bars, and other foods that travel well but I need some nutritious filling foods as well and the cafeteria, pre-packaged, frozen foods just weren't cutting it. Then I remembered MaryJane's Farm food and browsed the website only to realize that I had been missing out all along. The food is often advertised for backpackers and campers as it can be made directly in the pouch by pouring in boiling water. This would be perfect for making meals where only a microwave was available for cooking.



I ordered several meals. While it is a bit more expensive than I would normally spend on a meal (around $5), it is not a daily purchase for myself and I feel better, health wise, while eating healthy food in the hospital instead of greasy, fattening, junk food. It was worth it to me. The meals are organic and packed full of nutrients. They are easy for me to make; I bring a glass measuring cup along to the hospital, heat the water in the microwave, pour it in the pouch and close and within minutes I have a healthy meal.



This evening I enjoyed the Creamy Potato Soup with a few saltine crackers from the hospital drawer and a plate full of celery and sliced peppers that I brought from home. Tomorrow I plan to try the Bare Burrito, which looks delicious. I can not forget to mention the mouth watering chocolate that they have. I splurged on a Milk Inspired Collection and bring one bar of chocolate per hospital visit as a treat; this visit being the last bar. It is divine and I savor every bit of it - and the adorable post cards that come with it is a great addition!


I am in no way getting paid to mention these products. As a matter of fact, MaryJane's Farm is unaware that I am posting this. I am just sharing a product that I like and that may come in handy for those of you who want fast (yet healthy!) food on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails