*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cleaning Crew

My days this week have been spent cleaning and organizing. It's a bit too warm (HOT) to spend much time outdoors so I've been taking advantage of the time inside. I'm also packing away bags and boxes of items for the garage sale next month and am amazed at all I am finding to get rid of. I'm up to 6 big boxes and two garbage bags of things and know I can easily double that. Yay for simplifying!

All of us mothers have something which is the bane of our existence. Mine may very well be laundry. It is never ending and seems to breed overnight. While I don't mind the actual washing, hanging out, or folding part pf the task, I despise putting it away. I don't know why, I just do. I also despise folding a clean shirt or pants only to notice spots such as these all over them:
Some people call them water marks but I call them what they are; grease spots. My children are messy and like to drop food on themselves, or use their clothing as napkins for their greasy little fingers. The darker the fabric, the easier these spots show up. I've thrown many clothing items away with these spots that I just couldn't get out until I've heard that Dawn dish detergent works wonders on them. Squirt a bit of the Dawn on a toothbrush and scrub the spot, let sit for a bit and wash as usual. This has gotten every single grease stain out for me, even ones that have already gone through the dryer. I've heard of others sprinkling the spots with baby powder and letting it absorb the grease before washing. Hopefully this tip will help another mama from throwing out countless clothing from their messy children!

I've often been tempted to buy a Swiffer Mop as it looks so easy to use and clean with. What stopped me was the waste of disposable pads, along with having to buy the cleanser refill packages. I don't use harmful chemicals while cleaning so did not want to be stuck using something that needed a certain kind of cleanser. A few months ago I ran across the Libman Freedom Spray Mop at Target and was intrigued. I love the Libman products and have touted the Wonder Mop before, as it is the only mop I use! I liked the fact that the Freedom Spray mop has the same concept as the Swiffer Mop (no dirty mop water buckets) but also has a washable, reusable pad and the cleaner chamber can be filled with whatever cleaner you choose - no having to buy refill packs!

It was $20, which was a lot for me to spend on a mop, but it had a $5 rebate attached to it so I was sure to send that in when I arrived home. I fill the cleanser chamber with half water and half white vinegar (which is just as effective as bleach, killing 99.9% of germs, but safe and natural). I use it to take a quick swipe at the kitchen and bathroom floors several times a week and leave the cleanser in the chamber when hanging it back in the laundry room so that I can grab and go whenever needed. It takes less than two minutes to quickly clean the floors with this mop. I do not use it for a deep clean of the floors though, as I find that it just doesn't have the scrubbing power that I want. I go back to my trusty Wonder Mop a few times a month to do a through scrubbing of the floors. All-in-all I find it to be a good investment and friendly to the earth. (I was not paid nor asked to do a review of this product, I am just sharing a product that works for me which I feel should be shared with all of you!)

What are some of your favorite, can't do without, cleaning products and tips?

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I hate putting clothes away. I have baskets of folded clothes in every bedroom just waiting to be put away. Judah usually pulls it all apart before they get worn or put away and then I just throw it all in the hamper. It's been so hot here I've had my clean laundry stacking up in baskets and last night I folded for hours- including 2 baskets fullof teeny tiny baby socks and hats and bibs that I need to pack away. Sorting a hundred socks that small at once is very satisfying. Especially when they all have a match!

    My favorite cleaning product? Right now it's the Caldrea Sea Salt Neroli Counter Top Spray. I'm not usually one fore cleaners with a specific purpose, but this one smells so good. I use it on counters, high chair trays, the kitchen table. If I only get ONE thing done (other than the dishes) it's this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would steer clear of the swiffer mops in my experience they really just make the floors damp and not at all clean! I don't like them at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Swiffer Mop but don't use the disposable pads or refillable cleanser. I use a plain rag (or dusting cloth for the regular Swiffer)that can be thrown into the washer and used over and over again. As for the Swiffer cleanser, it is extremely harmful to pets and children who may be crawling around on the floor. So I cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle, dumped their soap out and refilled it with my own. :) Works great and I feel a lot better about what's being spread on my floor!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails