*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Monday, April 18, 2011

A Reminder

This week didn't start out the best. We had a cold rainy weekend. The kids woke up early and started fighting almost immediately. I took them out to run some errands and before I knew it the day got away from me. These days happen to all mamas at one point or another.

My bad mood was tripled by the fact that I am hormonal this week and that I know that another 4 day hospital stay is coming up and I dread them. Will we be in a double room with a bearable or unbearable roommate? What food should I bring to eat? Why is the parking so expensive? Should I plan our Easter celebration to happen before we leave or after? Why is my house always a mess?! These are all the thoughts that swirl through my head this week.


And then God blessed us with more angels. A neighbor drops off a ham for our Easter celebration. Easter balloons are delivered to the door for the kids, without a name of who ordered them. My day turned completely around because of those two acts of kindness today. It made me feel less alone.


Don't get me wrong, we have been blessed by the kindness of people throughout the journey. We have been supported by our friends, neighbors, and complete strangers. But as a friend who's daughter recently went through the battle of leukemia (and is a healthy little girl once again!) told me at the beginning of this battle, "You will come to find out who your true friends are by the ones who stick by you."


We are in the middle of our journey. It's a time when people go back to their own lives and expect you to have the hang of it now. We do, for the most part. To be honest, it's a lonely place to be though. Somewhat like limbo...watching other people go about their own life and seeing parts of ours on standstill.


So to be reminded that we are still surrounded by love and care is much needed at times like these. It's not about the things that we are given, but rather the thought that counts. Knowing that we are not forgotten is the biggest thing to us right now. A note from a friend or stranger in the mailbox, a question from the bank teller asking how Jacob is doing, a woman shopping at our garage sale who handed Jacob a quarter and told him he could make a killing if he charged for his smiles because they are so beautiful. All these little things say "I care."

Families facing cancer aren't the only ones that need this reminder. Everyone needs to be reminded that they are thought of and cared for. Elderly persons and shut-ins. A new mother who is feeling overwhelmed. A widow. A teenager who is going through problems. Everyone. It's a reason why Chemo Angels is so close to my heart. The little packages that arrive in the mail for Jacob thrill him. Not because of the items inside (though that's part of the fun!) but because he is reminded that he is special and thought of. And when the hospital visits get old, the needle pokes leave bruises on his arms, his blood counts drop and wear him down just a little bit more each time is when he really needs that reminder. It's not just his chemo angels, of course, I have to send a huge shout out to MJF friends and TUA, along with several other people. Please let someone in your life that might need a little lift know how special they are this week. Remember, sometimes the smallest act of kindness can turn some one's whole day around.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts always make me tear up. They also make me appreciate the health of our family while we keep good thoughts for yours!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails