*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, March 4, 2011

Thrifty Shopping From Home

It's been difficult to save money the past few months. With hospital stays, driving so much, and being exhausted I just haven't been frugal. I haven't been wasteful either but I haven't focused on ways to save. It just hasn't been a priority.

While we have a bubble of money from the benefit to help with Jacob's expenses we keep that separate from our spending. We ONLY use that money for things relating to Jacob's health and hospital stays. By spending that money wisely we should be able to get through all his treatments financially okay.

With our regular expenses we need to get back to saving. Prices are going up every which way. Today the gas was at $3.39 - $3.49 a gallon. I notice the food prices sneaking up. The electric, gas, and city bills are climbing.

One way that I have been saving a little money this week is buying some Amazon deals. I can shop from the comfort of my home and it has been free for me since I had so many Swagbucks Amazon gift cards saved up. If you don't know what Swagbucks are, it is a search engine (much like Google) that awards you "swagbucks" sometimes on searches. You can redeem your swagbucks for gift cards and prizes. With just a few searches a day I am able to earn at least $10 in Amazon gift cards a month. Go here to learn more and sign up.

I was able to get 4 boxes of Raisin Bran Crunch shipped to our door for about $1.60 each box. It's cheaper than sales at the store and it was free for me after the Swagbucks. I would have purchased it for that price even if I didn't have Swagbucks. That deal is over but two more I bought are:


The Pampers Soft Care baby wipes are on sale for $19.14 for a case of 720 wipes. If you subscribe and save it will drop the price lower (you can cancel your subscribe and save at any time after it ships). There is also a 50 cent coupon below the picture that you can click on to use. Enter MOMWIPES at checkout to receive and additional 10% off. You end up spending just $11.01 to have it shipped to your house. That is, if you are signed up under Amazon Prime shipping. You can get a free subscription to that by signing up for Amazon Mom.

4 12 oz. bags of Eight O'Clock Coffee is $18.30. Sign up for Subscribe and Save (and cancel after it ships) and it drastically reduces the price. Enter code SOLOCOP5 at checkout and you end up paying just $10.95 for 4 12oz bags. Remember, you have to have Amazon prime shipping to receive the free shipping...or sign up with the Amazon Mom link above (it's free and nothing to cancel).

This is one way I am bringing the costs down in our household. If you use these items it is better prices to get it on Amazon shipped directly to your door than even sales or coupons. Can't beat that!

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth:

    I'll have to check these deals out, except for the diapers and wipes.

    Back in 2002 my father died at the age of 85. The month before he died I flew to New York to be with him for a few weeks and to help my mom. When I returned back to Iowa I found it hard to focus on saving money and being frugal, so I spent more, but within reason.

    For example, I went to McDonalds and got salads every day for my work lunch as a way to pamper myself and to also save me time during my lunch hour, since I was working then. I tried to concentrate on cooking an evening meal for my family the best way I could. They were simple meals.

    Sometimes when you have to spend some money and in your case due to your son's illness, you have to live a less frugal life for a while.

    Also, and on something totally unrelated, I posted my Tilapia recipe at my blog, but I realized I left off the pepper in the recipe. I corrected that. Also, don't forget to bake the fish on some parchment paper or foil sprayed with some cooking spray so it doesn't stick.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails