*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Sunday, March 27, 2011

Raw Coconut Macaroons

In my quest to eat healthier I have also given up a lot of my sugar, especially sweets. Most days I don't miss it because I fill my sweetness quota with fresh fruits, which have plenty of sweetness. There are times that I crave chocolate and so far I haven't found a fruit that tastes like chocolate. While in the hospital I caved and treated myself to one bag of peanut M&Ms, a 3 Musketeer Bar, and one piece of Twizzlers (over the period of 4 days...and I totally deserved these!). My freezer at home is stocked with a lovely supply of raw chocolate coconut macaroons. These are incredibly sweet with enough chocolate taste to satisfy me. I hide them in the freezer so that no one else can find them! :)


One thing about raw recipes, especially desserts, is that they either require a food processor or dehydrator...both being things I don't own so I pass those recipes over. This one calls for a food dehydrator but you can also just make them and stick them in the freezer on a covered cookie sheet and loosely cover them with tin foil until frozen. That is what I did and it works wonderfully. They are still a bit sticky even once they are frozen but it never bothers me as it is soon gone and I just lick my fingers clean (yeah, I know, that makes me sound a little piggy!). Because of their incredible sweetness my chocolate/sweetness craving is satisfied within the first bite and I never eat more than one. I even make them pretty small. To me they taste a lot like a no bake cookie with coconut in it.
3 cups dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder (I was low on my cocoa powder supply so used just 1 c)
1 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut butter or oil
1 T vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well.
Form small rounds of the dough onto dehydrator screens (or a plate to freeze). Dehydrate for 12-24 hours at 115 degrees - until crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Or stick in freezer for several hours.

On a side note, we arrived home at 5pm today from the hospital and Jacob is now back in his element. It is SO good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails