*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Smashing Success

One week ago today a benefit was held in Jacob's honor. It was the cooks at my husband's workplace that thought up the idea and everyone at his workplace pitched in to help. I can't even imagine the manpower that goes into setting something like this up and we were beyond amazed at how pulled together it was and what a successful turnout there was. It brought in about three times more than my husband and I even imaged and we are eternally grateful to everyone who organized, donated, and attended this benefit.
Tables were already filled with people when we arrived at the event. People were also milling about the tables that held silent auction items, such as these baskets:
There had to have been about a 100 items donated for the silent auction and our thanks go out to those businesses and individuals who donated.
We are not a well known name in this town so it amazed my husband and I to see not only people we knew but also hoards of people that we don't know attend to show us support. The stream of people coming and going was steady all evening. It was a heartwarming and touching event for us.
Jacob was tired and overwhelmed himself but wanted to stay the whole night and therefore did. He knew that this party was for him and I think even a 5 year old boy can wrap his head around that somewhat.

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy there was such a great turn out for this event! What a sweet little boy staying the entire time despite not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!I have tears in my eyes reading this. What an amazing community you live in! There is so much good and wonderful in our world and at times we get so bombarded by the bad that we forget.
    I don't live in your community, or even know where it is for that matter, but I am proud of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my eyes as well! I love that Jacob wanted to stay the whole night. I'm glad there was a good turn out for you guys. We attended something just like this for a little baby with cancer two or three years ago but didn't know the family. Unfortunately, I don't think they got as good of a turnout as you guys did. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our state is a great state to live in, Elizabeth. Your post shows how much people who don't even know you care for you and your family and your situation.

    You have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live an amazing community, Elizabeth! What an awesome thing, for everyone to pull together to support your son. Thank you again for posting the link to Chemo Angels! I submitted my application today and look forward to getting to write to someone!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails