*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Monday, November 22, 2010

Simple and Satisfying

I've enjoyed a good pot of baked beans with bacon and a skillet of cornbread ever since I could remember. It's a very simple meal but also very satisfying. For me it defines "comfort food".

I love my Grandma's cornbread recipe. I had stopped making it for awhile and started using the Jiffy boxed cornbread mix but tried the homemade cornbread again last week and we all raved over it. Maybe it tasted better because I knew it was my Grandma's recipe, or the fact that Joe helped make it with me. Maybe it was the dabs of butter and the dribbles of maple syrup. Whatever it was, I don't think I will be going back to the boxed mix.

Grandma's Cornbread

Combine in bowl: 2 cups cornmeal

2 cups flour

4 T. sugar

8 t. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

Stir in: 2 cups milk

2 eggs

1/2 c. vegetable shortening

Beat until fairly smooth, 1 minute. Pour into a 9x13 pan or two 8x8 pans. Bake at 425 degrees 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with fingertips.

*Note: I half this recipe and bake it in a skillet that was greased with bacon grease, it adds a delicious touch.*

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thank you for the recipe...I LOVE a good cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love cornbread and best of all I love those good ole tried and true recipes. When I bake or cook using one of my grandma's recipes, I always feel as if I am keeping her memory alive and am passing a little bit of her on to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails