*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, August 19, 2010

Quick Thrifty Tip for Thrifty Mamas

I love kids clothes. I love to barter. I love a good deal. Recently when my mom mentioned a new kid's clothing bartering site on the internet I didn't pay it much attention. Then I started to hear about the clothing that she was getting from there for my younger siblings and I looked into it further. Now I am slightly addicted, though I haven't even sent my first box out yet, nor received my first box in the mail (it should be on it's way, though!).

ThredUp is where you can list your gently used clothing items that your children have outgrown. Some sizes are in high demand so you earn credit for them towards a box you want. When someone chooses your box you print out the postage on your computer and drop it off at the Post Office, so no out of pocket expense for yourself. When YOU order a box you pay $13 shipping (if you have credit from one of your boxes it will be even less than $13)! These boxes are packed to the brim with clothing, so you may be paying as little as $1 per piece of clothing. There are very good brand names listed and the majority of people who are swapping their clothing are highly impressed with the boxes they receive. If there is a problem with a box, I hear that their customer service is very good and will resolve any issue you have.

If you sign up through this referral link you will receive one month of PRO status for free, which means you get to see boxes earlier than the members who aren't PRO, as well as several other perks. I'll receive another month of PRO status as well, so I thank you if you do sign up through that link. :)

I'll update when I receive my first box and let you know how I like it. Have any of you had experience with ThredUp? How do you like it?

5 comments:

  1. I find your blog very insightful! Loved the entry on growing up poor, and looking forward to following you!

    http://thejourneyofmybump.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I just signed up using your referral code, so lucky you will get an extra Pro status month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link, it sounds interesting, and a lot easier than ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your mom mention it on Facebook so I signed up then. I've picked one box so far, which exceeded my expectations, and I listed two boxes, each was picked within a few days.

    I really like that, for me, I'd rather pack up a box and have it gone as he outgrows it, rather than keeping it around for 6 mos for the right season to list it on ebay or take to a consignment (which isn't an option here anymore,one consignment shop just went of business and the other no longer accepts clothiing).

    I really like the site and it really seems to be professionally run. I am definetly going to keep checking the site and hopefully find some more neat clothes when I need them! I'm all for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to those of you who signed up under me! :) You all will love this site and find it very addicting!
    So glad you are enjoying it, Janice. You're right, it is so much easier to just pack up a box and mail it off instead of hanging onto it for a garage sale or consignment store. Plus, for me anyway, I sell my kids outgrown clothes at garage sales to make money to buy them more clothes - so this works perfectly - trading their outgrown clothes for clothes that will fit them! So easy too.
    I hear that the majority of the trades are wonderful. It seems there have been a few where the people receiving weren't too happy, but I think the site owners resolve any issues! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails