*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, August 13, 2010

Don't Throw Your Money Away!

In this challenge to save money (as well as be green), I have come to realize that buying the majority of disposable items is literally just throwing your money away...as well as disrespecting the resources that God has given to us on this earth.

We have not bought a single package of paper plates in close to three months. We haven't bought paper towels in about a month. We have found that our real plates are just as good as paper ones; better in fact. It involves a few more dirty dishes in the sink but not so many to be too noticeable. With paper towels I bought them for washing windows (found a new favorite product for that, which I will discuss soon!) and for pet messes. I used to have a few favorite rags that I would wash and reuse but never wanted to use it on pet messes because, well...ewww..., I don't want to rewash it! With three messy kiddos I have found the perfect solution this summer. I cut up all their stained beyond repair t-shirts, cut them into pieces, and stick them under the kitchen sink. When there is a mess I wipe/pick it up and toss it in the trash. It was something that was going to go into the trash anyway but had another use before tossing. These two substitutions are saving us at least $5 a month.

Another reusable cleaning tool? The Libman Wonder Mop. I am not getting paid for this review and I'm sure Libman doesn't even have a clue who I am; I just love this mop so much that I had to share!

For years I was buying a gross sponge mop at the Dollar store and tossing it after using it just once or twice because it got so disgusting after it's first use. It didn't even work that well but it was cheap so I put up with using that type of mop for years. When we moved to this house several years ago I noticed when washing the kitchen floor that the sponge mop was just squishing dirty water all over the floor. I purchased a Libman wonder mop for about $6 at Walmart and have been in *love* with it ever since. It works, is easy to use...and best of all...reusable!

The mop head is washable up to 50 times. I seriously bought my first mop 5 years ago, used just two mop heads in that span of time, and just recently had to buy a whole new mop as around the plastic that holds the mop head in place started to rust away. One mop and one extra mop head refill lasted 5 whole years?! That means in five years I only spent around $10 on mop purchases! As opposed to a new $1 mop several times a year. I consider that a bargain, as well as a way to reduce waste.


Later this weekend I will be posting some of my natural cleaning recipes!

8 comments:

  1. I agree on the Wonder Mop! I always bought cheap mops before I got this one. Now I'm never going back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the swiffer but instead of buying the disposables for it, I use a wash cloth. It works great for sweeping and then for mopping. I like it much better than a regular broom and mop and later it can just go in the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try this mop because mine is not doing a very good job. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some great ideas. I've been looking into different ways to save money & the ripped up shirts are a great idea. Hubby goes through so many white t-shirts, they can easily be torn up & used as dusting rags.
    I have to second the mop. I've had mine for a couple of years & I like the way it works. Love the fact you can just toss it in the washer. I do have a swiffer, & I mainly use it for the bathroom since it's such a small space, or when I just need to do a quick once over the kitchen floor. Refills are kind of pricey after a while, so a good mop is really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am your newest follower from the blog hop.

    I hope you can stop by and visit my blog, I have a couple of great giveaways going on right now.

    Have a great day!

    Kari @ http://shining2save.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey there! this is my fave mop ever! following you from FF :) Hope you have a great weekend!
    Dawn :)
    http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like my Swiffer as well, and to save money we buy the generic store brand Swiffer pads. We don't yet have a washer/dryer otherwise I would be using rags as I grew up using that my mom would wash and reuse constantly. At least she never was like my grandmother, who used to (at least I hope she's not doing it currently) use my grandfather's old underwear -- still in good shape and bleached the hell out of -- to polish the wood and other furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We gave up paper towels and napkins 3 months ago. I prepared before doing this by going through all the old clothes and cutting up for rags. I also took old stained table cloths and sewed up the edges to make cloth napkins. This made it far easier to deal without the paper towels and napkins. Now we don't notice they are even gone and we were paper towel and napkin abusers!!! The amount I spent on these was gross lol. Happy they are gone!! Michelle frugalredneck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails