*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Sunday, July 11, 2010

Menu and Grocery Shopping

Our menu for the week is:
Vegetable Lo Mein
BLTs
Boca Burgers and pea salad
Turkey ham and corn casserole
Chicken and stovetop
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Mac and cheese and pork and beans
All are served with other side dishes. Lunches are leftovers, sandwiches, fruits and veggies, or other combinations. Breakfasts consist of cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast, eggs, oatmeal, or pancakes.

For dessert this week I made 2 peach cheesecakes. That totaled about $12 for just that. But I think it was worth it as we all enjoyed the first cheesecake and have the other in the freezer for some other time (this is a freezer recipe, which I will post later this week). I did not get a picture of my groceries this week as I arrived home from shopping at lunch time and everyone was starving, which is the reason I threw the groceries into the fridge and cabinets and stuck two pizzas into the oven. Had I planned more accordingly to what time I shopped I wouldn't have had to purchase two pre-made frozen pizzas. My shopping goes as follows:

2 frozen pizzas $2 each

cool whip 89 cents

Morning Star Veggie burger $3.59

4 blocks of cream cheese $1.29 each

butter $2.59

Whole chicken $4.31

chunk of cheddar $1.67

Turkey bacon $2.69 (minus $1.50 coupon)

wheat bread $1.29

hamburger buns 99 cents

pretzels 99 cents

turkey ham $5.15

mac and cheese $1.39

Stovetop 79 cents

peach gelatin 40 cents

chopped walnuts $1.19

spaghetti $1.19

3 containers blueberries 99 cents each

2 graham cracker crusts $1.99 each

Cranberry trail mix $2

2 cans corn 60 cents each

apple juice 99 cents

5 candy treats 67 cents each

Skippy peanut butter $1.99 (minus $1 coupon)

Can of peaches $1.29

dish soap $2.39

2 apples 99 cents

80 oz. jar of pickles $2.99

Minute Maid Lemonade $1.25 (free with watermelon purchase)

can peas 60 cents

Jiffy corn muffin mix 55 cents

2.67 lb. bananas $1.58

coleslaw mix $1.69

1.38 lb. broccoli $2.06

1.44 lb. peaches $1.14

1.85 lb. strawberries $2.74

radishes $1.19

carrots $1.19

1.76 lb. tomatoes $1.74

13.31 lb. watermelon $5.19

Total: $82.68 which means we came in about $17 under budget this week. I may need to pick up milk or eggs later this week though but we have plenty left for that!

3 comments:

  1. Wow when I started reading about how to eat for so cheap each month, I was excited...but the food you are making is about as far from a healthy lifestyle as you can get! Good luck with this though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snonymous...I don't understand how what I make is unhealthy? Please enlighten me about what you find to be unhealthy. Whole grains, fruits and veggies...which part is bad for you?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails