*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 19: Menu and Shopping Trip

Our menu this week is:
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Tacos
Grilled Cheese and tomato soup
Chicken burritos (held over from last week)
Taco Salad
Sausage and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
Steak for Father's Day
All are served with side dishes. Lunches are typically sandwiches, mac and cheese, cheese and crackers, leftovers. Breakfasts can be toast, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, or cereal.

I must admit that we went a little overboard today with grocery shopping. The kids and hubby went with me (which is a big no-no as things go into the cart that I wouldn't put in there). Our fridge was bare and our cupboards were no better so we did a lot more stocking up than usual. I took a before and after photo of our refrigerator to show you the difference. Before:

After:
We bought:
2 packages fresh baked buns $1.99 each
breadsticks $1.67
dozen eggs 99 cents
Goat cheese $5.89 (minus $5.50 coupon = 34 cents)
Sliced American Cheese $2.02
Brown sugar ham $3.91
shaved white turkey $2.69
Pea salad $2.31
French fries $2.96
Package ramen noodles $1.88 (hubby threw these in)
Doritos $3.99
Sauerkraut 99 cents
3 packages cookies on sale 33 cents each
2 packages alfredo noodles $1 each
4 sodas for trip home 69 cents each
pretzel rods $1.48
Mac and cheese $1.58
red beans 79 cents
cereal $2.99 (minus $1 coupon)
Mac and cheese homestyle $2.99 (minus free coupon)
Rice and bean (don't know what this was!) $1.28
Mountain Dew $1 (yucky...hubby's)
Bread $1.68
Sierra Mist $1 (hubby again)
3 cans Van Camp beans 33 cents each
Kefier on clearance $2
Cereal $2.79
Newman's Own lemonade $2
Redmond Real Salt $3.79 (this salt is the best...none of the minerals are taken out)
Yogurt cup 99 cents
bologna $1.88
hot dogs 99 cents
big container of yogurt $2.29
Cottage cheese $1.68
ziplock freezer bags $2.59 (minus free coupon)
corn tortillas $1.29
2.22 lbs. bananas $1.27
blueberries $1.88
2.27 lb. apples $2
cherry delight (natural trail mix) $2.99
4 lb. strawberries $4.88
2 avocados $2
head lettuce 89 cents
salad mix $1.79
peanuts 99 cents
organic peaches (3) $1.51
2 packages raspberries $1.88 each
6 ears sweet corn $2
1.58 lb. tomatoes $2.34
blackberries $1.50
3 lbs. vidalia onions $2.77
ground beef $2.99
Steak $6.63
Total: $108.42
Way over my $75 grocery budget. This happens every six to eight weeks. We manage to spend around $75 for weeks and then hit a time when our whole kitchen is bare and needs to be stocked up and we spend a little more. It just happened to be this week. As you can see, my husband also threw several things in the cart that I would not have bought. Which is why I often go to the store alone!


Plus, we bought Jacob his birthday gifts at Target for $22.49 (his birthday is this Thursday and more info on that later this week!). We put $20 of gas in the van. And yesterday we paid $22.36 on life insurance. We also bought some sandwiches from McDonalds on the way home from shopping and sent $8.44. So we are left with $53.92 for the next 10 days. That is cutting it close and I'm beginning to get nervous that we won't be able to make the $1,200 goal. Regardless, I think we will come in quite close...we will see!

3 comments:

  1. I can't take the hubby and kids with me either!

    I'm interested to see how you guys do in the next ten days!! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no longer have kids at home, matter of fact, it is just me and my dog, Dash. But I enjoyed reading your post and thought I would suggest a way to save. No sure how much yogurt you eat at home but I make my own now and that way I eat more of the good bacteria. You can buy an inexpensive yogurt maker, mine is Euro Cuisine and it holds 7 little glass jars that make yogurt in 8 hours on low heat. All you need to start it is milk (I use organic) and one small yogurt for a starter be sure and use one with acidophilis. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only visited your blog a couple of times (so far), but after seeing this post and the pictures of your fridge, I had to comment. Due to the fact that your fridge looks like ours -- lots of Hy-Vee and Midwest Country Fare products -- you must live in the same area of the country. We like the big tubs of yogurt too, but I wanted to let you know that we get the Great Value tubs at Wal-Mart for $1.89 instead of the Hy-Vee for $2.29. That $.30 adds up as much yogurt as our kids eat, and the Great Value vanilla yogurt is the best we've found!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails