*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 12

Weezy gets to come home today! Yay! I'll be picking her up later today. Her surgery on Thursday ended up taking three hours to repair her femur. The vet said that her leg muscles are so strong that it was hard to get into where he needed to go and get her leg straighted out correctly (that's a bulldog for you!). She is still sore, which is why the vet wanted to keep her for an extra night so that she could have the extra strength pain killers for a bit longer. We are just so thankful that she is okay!

We all know that her vet bill will blow this budget out of the water but many readers expressed that I shouldn't count this emergency towards my total as we do have savings for this and it is an "extra" expense. The challenge would end right now due to the vet bill, if I counted it towards the total. So I decided to go on with the challenge and see if we can meet the $1,200 challenge without the vet bill, but will make note of the bill at the end of the month.

Yesterday my husband decided that he wanted to grill out and since I didn't have anything prepared or ready for grilling I made a run to the store. The bratwurst patties ended up costing a lot more than I thought (7 of them cost $7.50!) and I had to pick up beans, chips, and a few other odds and ends. Total was $19.31. Which leaves us $451.23 for the month. It sure is getting lower and lower!

The boys decided to cheer me up and pick me a few flowers. Look at the gifts that they brought to me...



I just had to stick them in my old "Mad Housewife" wine bottle as it seemed fitting. It just goes to show that some of the best gifts in the world don't cost a thing!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers!

    I'm so glad your dog is doing okay. Poor pup :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your family usually go to the grocery store whenever you need something or do you have a routine? Doing this challenge, does it have you looking at your shopping routine differently? Would love to hear your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, this week has been bad with grocery shopping. We actually rarely just rush to the store to get what we need/want and typically just shoot for a big once a week shopping trip. I know that I spend more when we go more often (by picking out things that we don't need).

    I guess with stress from the dogs and the kids I haven't been planning ahead well enough so spur of the moment just ran to the store this week. Saturdays are usually our shopping days and then I try to stay out of the store the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vet bill would come out of our emergency fund. It is not a monthly expense.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails