*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wholesome Wednesday: Cast Iron Skillets

I planned to do a whole post about all my cookware but decided instead to focus on cast iron today. I've written about my cast iron skillet before but wanted to write about the benefits of cast iron cookware.

The first benefit of cast iron is that during the cooking process a bit of iron is leeched into the food. This benefits those who are low on iron or just need that added supplement in their diet.

The second benefit is that there are no harmful coatings on this pan (such as teflon) that could chip off into your food. The seasoning process means that the pan becomes non stick with use. The more you use it, the better it becomes.

An iron skillet takes a bit more care. The suggested cleaning method is just wiping down with hot water and not using dish soap but I have to admit that I often add a teeny tiny amount of soap just to make myself feel better. I then heat it up on the stove to dry and rub with a little cooking oil. If your pan becomes rusty or begins to stick you can re-season it by scrubbing with steel wool, rub it with oil or shortening, and bake in an oven for a few hours.

A properly taken care of cast iron pan or skillet will outlast you and will be something that can be passed down to your great-grandchildren. It is a wonderful investment for the kitchen. A few years ago I paid around $13 for my skillet (a Lodge one from Walmart). I will only make my fried potatoes and sauteed green beans in that pan as it adds a unique taste that no other pan can duplicate. When a recipe calls for a skillet I always reach for the cast iron one first and only use my other skillets if the cast iron one is already in use. I also love that it can go from stove top to oven and looks nice as a serving plate as well!

Do you use cast iron cookware in your home?

1 comment:

  1. Yep and I love it! I only have one smallish frypan though, I'm looking round for a larger one. I found mine in a camping supplies store. And I use dishsoap on it too, I just make sure I oil the pan a bit before I put it away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails