*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, May 8, 2010

Confession Time

I've fallen off the wagon this week.

No, I'm not an alcoholic or trying to steer clear from drugs. Well, actually I am trying to steer clear from drugs, but it isn't a difficult task. No, it isn't as life altering as those two things.

I've not been sticking to my grocery budget this week, nor have we stayed away from fast food. (Hanging head in shame.) I've been to the grocery store twice this week and hubby has made a grocery run once. Not a big deal, you say? Maybe not, but I can so see the difference in what we spend when we make multiple trips to the store as opposed to one well planned out one. My grocery budget goal each week is $75 and for the past couple months I have made that goal, and often beating it by coming in around $65. This week I estimate that we've spent around $100 to $115. It isn't going to break us, but we didn't need to spend extra. One run was for Parmesan cheese that we forgot and that hubby can't live without on his spaghetti. The run to the store, for that one item, ended up bringing home treats for each child, M&Ms for myself, salt & vinegar kettle chips and cookies for hubby. I didn't ask hubby for the receipt yet but I'm thinking that trip cost about $15...all for junk food. Yikes! That is where the truth lies...the more often you go to the store weekly the more unnecessary items you will pick up. I don't mind picking out the kids a treat on our weekly grocery trip, but I do mind picking them up a treat four or five times in one week.

Because of extra stress lately, and not having planned a good menu at the beginning of the week, we have also gotten take out more often than usual. Saturday we went shopping and stopped at Wendy's and spent $9. On Sunday we spent close to $20 on hamburgers and ice cream. On Wednesday I was stressed and spent $11 on hamburgers and fries for us. I won't count our anniversary dinner out for Chinese because I do consider that necessary. Close to $40 in one week on take out?! Not good...for the budget or waistline.

Which brings me to MY waistline. I have been gaining 1/2 a pound to a pound steadily for the past couple weeks. It's no one's fault but my own. Take out, junk food, and not enough exercise are to blame and I need to get back on track! I can fix all three of these problems by just planning a better menu and shopping list at the beginning of the week.

Here's to getting back on track this week and sticking to it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I stopped by through your "shameless plug" on the MWOP site. hehe

    Just wanted to stop by to say hello and read some good old fashioned "mom" stuff. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails