*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Recipe and Grocery Update

One of the easiest breakfast foods is muffins. I'm not a morning person though and really dislike mixing up a batch of muffins first thing in the morning. I found the perfect solution with this Raisin Bran Muffin recipe as it can be mixed up and then stored in the refrigerator for up to six weeks! I just pull the bowl out of the fridge, fill up a muffin tin and then stick the bowl back in the fridge for the next morning. Each batch lasts us about six breakfasts and we eat the leftovers throughout the day as snacks. Even my husband, who is not a muffin person, enjoys these.

Raisin Bran Muffins

1 15 oz. box of raisin bran cereal

2 1/2 cups sugar

5 cups flour

5 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. salt

1 cup oil

4 eggs, beaten

1 quart buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the cereal, sugar, flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and buttermilk to the dry mixture and mix well.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Remaining batter can be refrigerated in a covered bowl for up to 6 weeks. (Note: the batter starts to look a little funny after a week or so but is still good.)

I do usually sprinkle the tops of the muffins with cinnamon and brown sugar or a little sugar before baking for an added crunch and sweetness.

Grocery Update

I went shopping yesterday and paid just $59.21 for groceries for the next week. I do need to pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables as our grocery store didn't have much of a selection so as we are out and about today I will pick up a few things and add that to the grocery total. We should be coming in way below $75 this week!

How large is your family and what is your typical weekly budget?

3 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound good. I might have to try that. I'll have to find my recipe for crock pot granola breakfast and share it with you, you wake up and breakfast is done!

    So guess what, this week so far I haven't spent anything on groceries. It's been mix and match from what I already had on hand! I'll have to go tomorrow though for milk and all but at least I will come in under budget my 1st week of trying. Thanks for inspiring me to lower my grocery bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Sonita-
    That's great! I every once in awhile do a week of "pantry cooking" and it helps out the budget as well as helps me clean out the cupboards and fridge and use things up that may have otherwise just sat there. It makes one become a little more creative as well!
    Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I'd love the crockpot granola breakfast recipe...sounds perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails