*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Here in the Midwest we are under a storm watch until Wednesday night. It has been snowing like crazy all day and we aren't even at the half way mark of what is expected. So far it sounds like about 8" of snow expected, which isn't totally unusual for us. Though it has been said that several places may receive up to 12". The worst part is that the winds are supposed to be picking up to around 50mph and we could get snow drifts over four feet tall and have dangerous windchills. Yes, winter is now officially here!

The following photos were all taken yesterday, when we just had a light dusting of snow. The two children pictured had a blast playing, the absent one hates wearing mittens or a hat so went inside soon after he got outside.

I never mind the first snow of the season, especially when it is so close to Christmas. I'm not even minding this winter storm yet. But I did notice that our van doesn't handle snow on the streets very well. And my sister spun around three times today on the main hi-way trying to get home. So the dangerous road conditions are very unappealing.
And the grocery stores? What can I say about how crowded they get whenever a snow, big or small, is expected? Everyone runs out and stocks up on bread, eggs, and milk. As though those are the three staples that will keep you going in a storm. Do they eat a lot of bread pudding when it is snowing out? I, too, ran to the grocery store today. Not because I had to stock the pantry but rather because I figured with the snow and cold it would be a wonderful time to get some Christmas baking done. Today the kids and I have made almond bark pretzels and tomorrow we will work on the ginger snaps.

Whether you are having a blast of winter weather or not I hope that you are all comfy cozy right now and enjoying a peaceful December evening. If my camera batteries aren't completely dead, I will update with photos tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. We got some snow in the Bay Area (CA) too! Yesterday, in fact...and it's still freezing right now, although no precipitation. I love seeing snow fall. Not sure people who have to live with it all winter will agree. Hope you are able to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails