*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Memories

Today, as I baked cookies with my daughter and thought about making our own family traditions, I started to also reminisce about my own Christmas memories as a child. What I vividly remember are the days leading up to the big day, not the day itself.

Making the traditional sugar cookie cutouts with the whole family and then decorating them was always a favorite. It was an all day experience with watching mom mix the dough, then waiting for it to chill in the fridge and keeping watch so that dad wouldn't sneak little bits of the raw dough out of the fridge (which he always managed to do). Once it was finally chilled enough it was time to roll out the dough, press the cookie cutters into it, and bake it. We often managed to sneak little bits of raw dough ourselves as we cut out the cookies. Why is it that raw cookie dough is better than a baked cookie? The decorating part was always the best part. And then getting to choose which cookie we wanted to eat after all that work was such a major decision. This tradition has been carried down to our children.

Driving around town and looking at all the Christmas lights was another tradition that we couldn't do without and looked forward to, while listening to Christmas carols on the car radio. Again, another tradition that my own children look forward to. Tomorrow evening we will be stopping at the convenience store to pick up some hot cocoa and then drive around, finding the best lights in town.

Christmas Eve seems to be the best day of all. We always had trays of cheese and crackers, plates of cookies and goodies. The lights are turned down low and candles are lit and we read the story of our Savior's Birth. This tradition has continued and we still experience a special Christmas Eve at my parent's house each year. It has evolved to include a movie, some gift swapping, and a little wine. But the immediate family is always there and that is what makes it truly special.

When it comes down to gifts there are just a few that stick out as a child. One is the first year that we moved to a very drafty, cold, cold, cold house in the country. The upstairs was not heated well and my room was freezing cold. Ice would form on the windows and I can still recall often "drawing" little scenes in that ice. That year I received such a warm comforter and remember that because I still have that comforter, which Jacob uses on his bed now (but will be getting a replacement this Christmas with his own Toy Story comforter). I was around 10 years old when I received that comforter, so it is 17+ years old!

I also remember a box under the tree that was addressed to our cat, "Meow". Meow was a stray that had shown up at the house mentioned above soon after we moved in. We hadn't been in the market for a cat and didn't have the money to feed a cat. She was an excellent mouser and caught all her food, though in the colder months she would get a little lean. I remember this box being from "Sandy Claws" and when I opened it it was filled with cans of cat food for her. I was overjoyed that we could feed her "real" food. I fed her one can a day until the supply was gone. Though that present was not one for me, it was one of my favorite presents because it was for "my" cat and something that she needed.

I remember saving up my birthday money (which happens to be in August) and buying my first Christmas gifts for my family. I was probably around 8 or 9. I remember buying my older brother a small gumball machine, my dad a trial size bottle of "Old Spice" and my mom a small set of individually wrapped squares of bath melts. As my mom unwrapped the gift Christmas morning I realized I had left the $1 sticker on it and was so embarrassed! I don't recall what (or if) I bought my younger brother and sister anything, they were so small at the time I probably figured they wouldn't care if I didn't get them anything.

It is the simple things in life that I hope my children remember as they later look back on their childhood. Christmas is an especially magical time of year, but not for the presents, but rather for the spirit of goodwill and giving that we often see this time of year more than any other. My children have not asked once for any particular item or asked what they are getting. I hope that as they grow older this will continue and they will not see Christmas as a way to get more toys, but more as a magical time of year to enjoy traditions with family, do for others, and celebrate the birth of our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails